Is this abuse?
Sometimes when you care about someone it’s hard to believe they could be an abuser. If even one of the descriptions below sounds familiar, you may be in a dangerous relationship. Sometimes abuse is emotional and sometimes it’s physical: both can be devastating.
- If you’ve ever felt afraid of your partner because they acted extremely jealous or possessive or looked at you in a threatening way
- If your partner has called you nasty names or hurled insults at you
- If your partner monitors where you go and with whom, calls or texts your phone excessively, or controls what you wear
- If you get blamed or yelled at for things that aren’t your fault
- If your partner treats you disrespectfully and then blames you for their actions
- If you have been pushed, kicked, slapped, or hit -- even once
- If your partner isolates you from people you care about
- If you are pressured or forced to have sex when you don’t want to or are ill
- If your partner has threatened to kill you, themselves, someone you care about, or your pet, this is very dangerous and should be taken seriously
If you’re saying, “that sounds like my relationship,” we urge you to call and talk to a counselor. We’re here 24/7 to listen and talk with you about options. Please call us at 255-NEWS. You can remain anonymous, or you can come see us in person from 8 to 5 M-F at our business office. All services are free and confidential. We won’t judge or tell you what to do. We can be a sounding board for you and can offer you information and resources.
End the Silence, Break the Cycle, Make the Call