Sexual Assault Victim Services
Sexual Assault Victim Services (SAVS) is a program of NEWS dedicated to aiding and empowering local victims of sexual assault and their families.
Sexual assault among the most devastating of violent crimes. It deprives us of our most basic human right: The sanctity and safety of our own bodies. Despite common misconceptions, rape is not an erotic act of sexual desire. It is a crime of violence with the intent to control and humiliate, and it is the feeling of humiliation and loss of control that accounts for much of the victim’s suffering.
- A confidential 24 hour hotline.
- Advocates to accompany victims to the hospital, police station, District Attorney’s office and courtroom.
- Counseling through state victim compensation programs.
- Community Education Program.
Sexual Assault Is?
- Any sexual activity which is not freely chosen by the victim. INCLUDED are exhibitionism, molestation, rape, incest, sodomy and oral copulation.
- Hurtful, embarrassing, and difficult to talk about. No one should try to solve this problem alone.
- A crime that can happen anywhere to anyone—male/female, young/old, any race and any sexual orientation.
- Committed by friends, family members, dates, acquaintances or strangers.
- A crime of power and control, not love, lust or passion.
How Can I Help?
Call to Volunteer: 707-252-3687 | Email our Volunteer Trainer