Virtual Kids Support Group for Uncertain Times...
Starting on Tuesday, June 21, NEWS-Domestic Violence & Sexual Abuse Services will start a new series of support groups for youth. These groups will be open to all Napa County youth, ages 5-17, who would like a safe place to talk about Covid-19 stress, self-esteem/self-worth, and healthy relationships. The virtual Zoom meetings will be facilitated by NEWS bilingual case managers and a prevention educator, and will be in two separate groups: ages 5-11 and ages 12-17. Group 1 for ages 5-11 will be held at 2:00 pm, and Group 2 for ages 12-17 will be held at 1:00 pm, every Tuesday afternoon.
The groups will be using evidence-based curriculum A Window Between Worlds and Be Strong: From the Inside Out. The one-hour sessions will include a check-in, lesson, closing circle/grounding, and one-on-one questions or concerns. Sample topics include: Ingredients for a Good Friendship, Drawing Healthy Boundaries, Where I’m From, and many more.
Parents or youth may call or email to register:
- Group 1: Parents or legal guardians call or email to sign up children prior to day
- Group 2: Parents, legal guardians or youth self-register via email or phone prior to day
Overview of the lesson plan (A Window between World Curriculum & Be Strong: From the Inside Out)
- Healthy Relationships
*Covid-19 stress discussed in all sessions (during check-in)
Sample Session Description Topic: Activities design weekly depending on needs of audience
- July 21 Get to know one another
- July 28 Topic: Ingredients of a good friendship
- Purpose: To continue skill building around healthy relationships by helping youth explore their relationships with friends.
- Objective: To increase interpersonal & cultural competence; to improve values of caring, integrity & honesty; to improve peaceful conflict resolution skills.
- August 4 Topic: Drawing Healthy Boundaries
- Purpose: To conclude youth exploration of friendships by examining healthy relationship boundaries.
- Objective: To increase positive peer influence, resistance & refusal skills, & interpersonal competence; to improve the values or caring, integrity, & honesty
- August 11 Topic: Where I’m From
- Purpose: To introduce the subsection on environments by helping youth share & discuss the liabilities & assets in their physical environments.
- Objective: To increase self-esteem & personal power to increase cultural competence; to increase caring about neighborhoods & schools; to acknowledge neighborhood & school boundaries.
- August 18 Topic: The Mask
- Purpose: To continue youth self-reflection by exploring the connection & disconnection between positive & negative perceptions of youth that are held by others, & understand how these perceptions relate to how one sees oneself.
- Objective: To increase self-esteem, sense of purpose, & a positive view of personal future.
Call 707-252-3687 or email firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com for more information. Groups are accessible on a computer, tablet, or smart phone. All sessions are confidential and free, and we will not be recording any of the sessions.
***If there is an accessibility barrier, please call Elizabeth at 707-252-3687 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.